Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Foods in China

Hi, Class, this is Cayanna!  First, I'll answer some of your questions.  I like solid sugar cane better than the juice.  Chris, it's a little tough, but I like it because it's chewy, and you can squeeze the sweet juice out with your teeth.  On a scale of one to ten, it would be a ten.  I really enjoy your comments!

Some of the food we've eaten on this trip is just like we have at home.  There are normal things like corn, soda, gum, and french fries.  But, there are also lots of different foods here.  Then, some things are just prepared differently, like the meat.  Have you ever eaten a shrimp with its head still on?  I haven't either, but I could have!  The other night, we went to a restaurant called Lucy's, and my grandma ordered seafood.  When it came, her food was looking at her!

She had a whole shrimp!  I do not like the eyes.  How about you?  Another thing my grandma had on her seafood plate were squids.  They are rubbery.  Here's a picture of some squids on a stick.
  They are the purple wavy things in the middle of the picture.  I think they could wiggle off the stick.

Shrimp isn't the only food that is cooked whole.  We were walking by a nice restaurant.  They had signs that had pictures a whole pig and whole ducks with the heads on and everything!  I don't think that makes people want to rush in.

What do you think?  You might enjoy it.

The market by our hotel has a lot of spices.  There are some things that are familiar and things you've never heard of.  You've probably heard of saffron, cinnamon and ginger.  There are plenty of unusual things too.  At home, we get our spices in bottles and jars.  At the spice market, they come in big sacks.  You tell the shop keeper how much you want, and he will put that much in a sack for you.  The thing that I was interested in a lot was dried sea horses.  There were giant bags of them.

 
Here are some more pictures of the spice market.  Can you tell what is what?


 China is a busy, interesting, different place.  It's fun doing new adventures every day!  Here's one last picture.  It's a dessert that I had for my birthday.  Even the labels were chocolate.
Zai Jian for now!

1 comment:

  1. Hi birthday girl! So what did your cake taste like? It sure looks pretty. Not everyone gets to celebrate their birthday in China. Bet it's one you'll always remember! We miss you at school. Here is what your classmates wrote to you today:

    Happy birthday. I hope you had a supercalifragilisticexpealidocious birthday. Did you buy any spices at the market? Bet it smelled spicy. I hope you are having a fun time. (Autumn)

    I showed the video of Asa to my brothers. They loved it too. Happy birthday. Did you try the sea horses? (Caiti)

    Do you see strange things every day? I almost forgot, happy birthday to you. How do they say happy birthday in Chinese? I hope you have a great time. (Ashley)

    I think the mystery vehicle you saw has something to do with a sewer. Yuck! Did you ride in a rickshaw? I think you should. (Caitlynn)

    I feel bad for the seahorses. Did you eat any? Have a great time. (Aspen)

    That is so funny that your Grandma's food was looking at her. I do not know what that one vehicle was. Have you got to ride a bike there? (Sage)

    How are you and your brother? I love what you write. (Brayden)

    I like you little brother. I hope you come back soon. What is Easter like there? (Wade)

    Do they really eat shrimp with their heads on? It doesn't surprise me. I know that in a lot of places like Asia they eat ducks with their heads on. I've heard of squid on a stick, but never seahorses as a spice. (Sam)

    Did you dare try squid? I hate to think about dried seahorses. The spices on the ground were disgusting. (Tyree)

    I think the shrimp would be good. Did you try the squid? If you did, on a scale of 1-10 what would you give it? I am very interested. (Shianne)

    Were the dried seahorses real? If they were I think it's sad. Are you planning on eating one? I would not like them. What foods have you liked? (Bree)

    I feel sad about the sea animals in the restaurants. Did you try the seahorse? I don't think I would. They look crunchy. There was sure a lot of seasonings I thought. (Shelby)

    Have another really great day and find some interesting to show us and tell us about. We really enjoy being part of your trip.. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Aunt Beth/Mrs. Christensen

    ReplyDelete